About Tim fix on allCall for interpreter plugin

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Aug 25 02:46:10 UTC 2003

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 03:43:56PM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> However, having thought about it more I think that there is a good
> reason to at least allow the plugin name to differ from the class name.
> For example, if I want to make an Acorn specific FilePlugin I could do
> so by making a subclass of FilePlugin and overriding the#moduleName
> method. Thus my new plugin would be found by all the normal references
> to FilePlugin and all would be well.

I assume you mean that AcornFilePlugin would be a subclass of FilePlugin
and that AcornFilePlugin class>>moduleName would answer "FilePlugin".
Also, #shouldBeTranslated would be set up such that the right subclass
will be picked up by VMMaker.

Yes, this is a worthwhile thing to be able to do. It permits most
of the platform-specific parts of certain plugins to be moved into
the image, rather than be maintained as external C source code in the
platforms tree.  Admittedly, the SLANG can be a bit strained in some
cases, but it's surprising how much can be done without any external
C source files whatsoever.

I like being able to browse platform-specific source code in the image
rather than looking through source trees from various VM support code
distributions.

Dave