[ENH] Babel draft version (was: Pure translation and the rest)

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com diegogomezdeck at consultar.com
Mon Aug 25 10:39:20 UTC 2003

Andreas, Michael and translators...

>> I still think it would be a good idea to sneak in the translation and
>> the ISO code at the same time. It will be already hard enough to
>> convince the ASCII speaking people ;-) on the mailing list that there
>> are actually people outside their country who need that.
>
> The strategy is somewhat complex here I think. I would actually imagine
> that it may be easier to convince people to support Unicode instead of
> switching to ISO-Latin. After all, pretty much everything that's
> covered by ISO-Latin is covered by MacRoman so why bother... (yes, I
> know why, but that's the argument I would be expecting).
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

I'm not against switching to ISO-Latin, Unicode, MacRoman or whatever as
long as I can translate Squeak to Spanish.

My today-goal is to translated a 3.5 (or 3.6) Squeak to Spanish and this
work can be made with MacRoman.  I found quiet a lot of problems (clipboard
handling, international character typing, fileouts are not
more "compatible" between images with and without m17n, etc) that are not
problems in a "base" Squeak so, from my limited point of view, make no
sense to suffer this problems *today*.

I don't want to start another fork of a fork (we still don't know if m17n
will get included in 3.7) so my proposal is only to split the project in
two parts.  I can take the "translation" part (as I said before).

As a matter of show attached is a changeset with a small and simple (in my
eyes) framework to translate any string to any language.

See the preamble to get the first instructions.

Comments, ideas, etc are ever welcome!

Diego Gomez Deck
http://www.small-land.org