[m17n] RE: [ENH] SpanishLetters-dgd

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Mon Aug 25 18:14:58 UTC 2003

  Hello,

> >> I only have one comment/question:  There are some characters
> >> that today (using TTF) has squeak representation (Example:
> >> Á Í Ó Ú) but in the stock fonts don't.
> >
> > Are those defined in the MacRoman character set?
>
> I'm not a Mac expert (neither a Mac user) but juding using
> http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/demos/macroman.html seems like they are
> there. (I also checked http://www.alanwood.net/demos/charsetdiffs.html)

  As someone has already stated, the NewYork fonts come with the
standard distribution don't contain all glyphs defined in MacRoman.

> >> With all the translations projects around I think we have
> >> to consider to switch to some TTF by default.
> >
> > If the characters are in MacRoman that's not a problem (all you have to
> > do is to use the TTF fonts). If they aren't ... well that again raises
> > the issue of which character set Squeak should use by default.
>
> If I understood correctly we (we=squeak translators) are moving to ISO
> (http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/m17npaper/node6.html).
> Yoshiki, Michael.. are you there?

  I like the idea to move to ISO-8859-1.

  For the compatibility issue with the existing file outs, I imagine
that we use new file name extensions for UTF-8 based fileouts, such
as .ust and .ucs.

  For a good migration path, we may end up with a stage when the
internal representation for Characters is latin1, but keep the same
fileout encoding and the same file name extensions, or use yet another
file names, such as .ist and .ics.

-- Yoshiki