KCP SystemNavigation changes (was Re: [UPDATES] 7 for 3.6beta,including "full" prompt)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Tue Aug 26 21:21:30 UTC 2003

Ok, I reviewed the four changesets, and they look good to me.  I assume
we're talking about KCP 98-101 which you posted a few days ago.

I agree that changing the standard usage to "self systemNavigation ..."
is the best way to go... we won't have "SystemNavigation new" or
"SystemNavigation default" hardcoded everywhere, which would make it
more difficult for someone to plug in their own system navigation tools
for example.

Even though we are in beta and this is an API change, I think it's
reasonably safe for 3.6 for two reasons:  1. The SystemNavigation stuff
was introduced during 3.6alpha, so we're not changing the API from 3.5
to 3.6 anymore than it's already been changed.  2. The API is really
being added to, not changed, anyway.  If an external package still uses
"SystemNavigation new" it will still work, although "self
systemNavigation" should be the preferred way.

I will approve these and incorporate them today/tomorrow.

- Doug