squeak license

ALR alr.dev at free.fr
Wed Aug 27 16:42:31 UTC 2003

Hi all,

After having 'smalltalk-squeaked' for few months, I am thinking about using
squeak for a commercial development.

Here are some issues I found about that, and every answer is welcome:

- Unix and Windows Squeak vm sources licences:
I recently downloaded a linux version of the squeak vm an found several
files with the squeak archive : COPYING, LICENSE etc. This distribution does
not follow the Squeak License : modified files from the unix vm, actually
copyrighted Ian Piumarta and other contributors, can be renamed and used if
the copyright notice is replaced by the GPL notice.

This should not be an issue for a commercial product build on squeak, as
long as the image file (ie the product) is not concerned by this license
change to GPL, but stay under SqueakL, it's just a bit confusing for our
customers.

*** Can someone confirm to me that the image file does not fall under this
GPL license ?
*** What about changing the unix vm license to SqueakL instead of GPL ?
*** What is the status of the win32 vm source(s) on this point : SqueakL or
GPL ?

- Fonts is another problem in commercial distribution as there are very few
free fonts on the web. Most of the fonts who are 'free' are for
noncommercial use, and I didn't found one usable, the ttf fonts seems to be
garbage with the font reader.
This is true for the fonts I found, windows fonts are ok, but copyrighted.

*** What is the license status of the Verdana and Tahoma strike fonts of the
Zurgle project ?
*** Any information and true pointers about *free for commercial use* fonts
(Strike or ttf fonts) usable in squeak is welcome.

Thank you for your answers

Alain