New and confused

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Fri Aug 29 07:22:23 UTC 2003

Tae Chong wrote:

> I'm very new to the squeak/smalltalk environment, but not new to
> programming.  I've had previous experience with C and most recently > Perl, but I cannot figure out how to create an application using squeak
> or smalltalk.  I've downloaded squeak and started it's IDE environment
> and began the initial tutorial's, and found the workspace very
> interesting.  So, my question is how does one create an application in
> the smalltalk environment and run it from a command line - I run most
> of my programs on a Linux platform.

Welcome to squeak.

I guess it can be kinda hard for someone without an OO background. I'm
not too much of a programmer myself but I think I can give you some
pointers. (they aren't supplied by Squeak, as far as i can tell. ;)

To do it properly you must begin with the practice of object oriented
_design_. Analyze what you want to do into objects and then look through
the available classes to discover wheather they might already be
available. (If there is a part available which isn't quite what you
want, simply make a subclass of it and adjust its behavior...)

A fairly well factored class to study is the chess game, (in the games
package if you don't already have it.) You will notice that it is
seperated into engine and user interface classes. The main engine classe
is, in turn, divided down into the indivdual pieces and components of
the game.

Just keep repeating to yourself "everything is an object" and you should
begin to understand it. ;)

--
"Nobody wants to say how this works. Mabye nobody knows."
        - The man page for XF86Config, One of the key config files

http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/