AW: [Q]tracking real gamepads on USB port

Alexander Lazarevic Alexander at Lazarevic.de
Fri Aug 29 08:09:29 UTC 2003

Hi Barros!

I can use my usb gamepad in squeak running on windows xp. I guess if the
gamepad works with windows (see ControlPanel GameControllers for that)
it should work in squeak too. But I don't know how well usb support
works in win98.
The current JoystickTablet plugin tracks only two axis (XY) and upto
four buttons. On the squeak side you need to poll the state of the
joystick. The plugin doesn't create any events.

Within the scope of a rough survey of input devices I did, it was easy
to modify the windows plugin a little to support more axis (XYZRUV),
upto 16 buttons and point of view (4/8 way). If you get the windows
source code from here [1], just have a look at sqWin32Joystick.c in [2].
The functions named win32JoystickDebugXYZ() reveal what is needed to
enhance the plugin. I used [3] to learn how to use things like
joyGetPosEx() from the Windows Multimedia SDK.

Regards,
	Alex

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/squeak/
[2] 3.4.4\win32\plugins\JoystickTabletPlugin
[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/