Floats in squeak...

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Aug 29 22:19:13 UTC 2003

Alan Grimes wrote:

>Hello, I'm having trouble with my leenooks VM, It totally messes up
>whenever it has to deal with any kind of FP stuff. (I have seen many FP
>related failures in every squeak configuration I have tried).
>
>Today, I took a fresh 3.6 beta immage and attempted to use "upgrade to
>3.6 full" and the thing blew up when it was trying to do something with
>some class called "fisheyemorph" or something similar... Apparently it
>was attempting to truncate what it thought was a float number but the
>number had been read as "not a number" (NaN)...
>
>Apparently some critical setting regarding x86 FP stuff is not being
>initialized by the current configuration scripts.
>
>What information do you need to see from me?

Do you see an error within Squeak?  (with the usual pink debugger
window?)  If so, you can select "mail out bug report" from the pop-up
menu in the stack pane of the debugger window to send the error stack to
the list, which'll be helpful.

Otherwise, if your VM is crashing, that's a different story.

- Doug