New and confused

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Aug 30 14:31:50 UTC 2003

Tae Chong wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to the squeak/smalltalk environment, but not new to programming.  I've had previous experience with C and most recently Perl, but I cannot figure out how to create an application using squeak or smalltalk.  I've downloaded squeak and started it's IDE environment and began the initial tutorial's, and found the workspace very interesting.  So, my question is how does one create an application in the smalltalk environment and run it from a command line - I run most of my programs on a Linux platform.
>
> Thanks, ahead of time, and apologizes if this had been already previously answered.
>
> -t

You can name a script on the command line, as well. It will be invoked at
startup time. So you could do something in the script, and then quit Squeak:

Contents of myScript.st:
----
self beep.
Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: true.
----

and then run Squeak with its name:

squeak -headless myLittle.image myScript.st