[TFNR] Looking for maintainers!

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Dec 1 05:07:12 UTC 2003

On Saturday, November 29, 2003, at 04:42 AM, Diego Gomez Deck wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
>>> MediaSqueak (aka Full-Image):
> [...]
>> I guess there are a couple of aspects to being in charge of the Full
>> Image:
>>
>> 1. Deciding which packages should be part of the Full release.  There
>> are a number of things which would be good to add (Connectors, etc.),
>> and occasionally something needs to be removed (such as PWS).  These
>> would of course stay as packages on SqueakMap and would be added to
>> the
>> "Upgrade to Full" script, but would not be added to the update stream.
>> But they would be in the Full image download for 3.7 and future
>> releases.
>
> I full agree. IMO, this is part of the job of the full-image
> maintainer.
>
> The idea is that the community participates in the discussion but the
> final decision is made by the maintainer.
>
> If the community doesn't like the final decisions, the maintainer can
> be
> fired but while the maintainer is in charge he/she has the last word.
>
> I think this is the only way to decide and do something.

Yes, that sounds right.

>> 2. Working on the appearance and runtime content of the Full release
>> image itself (as opposed to the packages/source code).  For example,
>> right now, the 3.6 final release looks a lot like the 3.4 & 3.2
>> releases, except for some updates to the Welcome window.  Lots of
>> other
>> things could be updated/improved, such as the projects which appear in
>> Worlds of Squeak, etc.  I didn't have much time to work on this
>> myself,
>> since I was more focused on maintaining the update stream.
>
> I thinks the best way is to create another area... something like
> "Squeak Content & Look".
>
>> So, if you want to take responsibility for #2, that would be great.
>
> I can be also the maintainer of the area in the beginning, but this
> area
> can be easily splited-off if somebody wants to take this
> responsibility.
>
>> And
>> you could also be in charge of #1 if you'd like, although this would
>> involve more coordination with the Guides & the community when
>> deciding
>> which packages should be in or out.
>
> Sure.

Ok, you can be in charge of both for now, and if someone else comes up
who's interested in the "Squeak Content & Look" stuff, that could be
reassigned.

(Although much of the "Look" part of "Squeak Content & Look" is a
separate aspect, such as your NewLook changes which are really source
code changes, and affect the Basic image just as much as the Full
image.)

- Doug