Controlling via parallel (centronic) port

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Dec 1 22:49:24 UTC 2003

Well the enhanced serial port squeakmap provide a set of classes to
manage serial
ports for many platforms (unix like and os-9) You still need to make
the operating system
specific calls, and do things like for example  dtr:  setting data
terminal ready means what call and
using which magic numbers? This framework could be used for parallel
ports and certainly you
could use FFI versus primitives.

On Dec 1, 2003, at 2:22 PM, Jon Hylands wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:01:45 -0800, John M McIntosh
> <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
>
>> If you have windows, then it's more work since the primitves for
>> windows don't exist as far as I know.
>
> You can access the parallel port using FFI from Squeak -- there are any
> number of DLLs out there on the net that give access to the parallel
> port
> from any version of windows except NT or 2000, and interfacing Squeak
> to an
> external DLL, although painful, is relatively straight-forward...
>
> Later,
> Jon

>    Jon Hylands      Jon at huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon
>
>   Project: Micro Seeker (Micro Autonomous Underwater Vehicle)
>            http://www.huv.com

===