using RegularExpressions for matching (was Re: deficience in Squeak)

smallsqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Tue Dec 2 04:02:27 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant wrote :

> On Dec 1, 2003, at 3:56 PM, smallsqueak.net wrote:
>

> > Hi Avi,
> >
> >> FWIW, I vote that if we're going to have the core depend
> on a regex
> >> package, it should be one of the Smalltalk ones - either
> Vassili's or
> >> the one from SmaCC.
> >
> >     Which of these will work in a headless environment,
> >     something like SqueakScript ?
>
> Er, any of them, I would think.  Why wouldn't they?

  That's great.
  So, regex does not need Morphic to run correctly ;-)

  But, how can we know for sure ?
  Can MC help (via dependency analysis) ?

  For the rePlugin, I know for sure
  and it will run even with Squat
  (which may end up with just ProtoObject,
   Metaclass and supporting cast ;-)

  BTW, why 'it should be one of the Smalltalk ones' ?
  There are at least 3 of them at the last count ;-)

  Considering that Smalltalk is very productive,
  we may have a dozen of these in no time ;-)

  Considering the current rate of evolution of Squeak,
  what's your guesstimate for the sweat needed to test
  and maintain a native Squeak version of regex
  comparable to the current (old) rePlugin ?
  (and don't forget that KCP is sweeping left and
   right, pulling the rug right under your feet ;-)

  Cheers,

  PhiHo.