About Flow in Squeak 3.X

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Tue Dec 2 22:37:46 UTC 2003

Hi Stef--

> > > My gut feeling impression is that 4.0 is far in the future for
> > > me.
> >
> >       Does that mean that if there were a minimal-snapshot-plus
> > modules system available right now, it would still be a while
> > before you could use it? Just curious.
>
> No, but [there haven't been any releases yet] and [it takes a lot of
> time and effort to make things move].

	Yeah. :)  Well, I hope that the design notes I've put out are of some
help.

> Finally, tomorrow a rich company can also offer you to work for it in
> the dark side :) for a lot of $ (I wish you that). and bye bye squat
> flow...

	Well, all I can say is that I think that's very unlikely. :)  I want to
be able to keep using my own work, which effectively puts me in the same
boat as the public. (Note that, for what it's worth, Flow itself has
already been released a couple of times.)

> That's why I do not count in year.

	I couldn't parse that. :)  Do you mean, that's why you don't budget
time around it?

> > I actually think it'd be better to obviate any reasons to stay with
> > the accreted snapshot. :)  Making major changes in the old snapshot
> > will just slow that down.
>
> I could not understand that block :)

	I mean, currently we fuse (or "accrete") new stuff into the old stuff.
That's what I think of as the "old way". I really like having that
capability, but I think it's something that makes more sense for a
single person. I've always found the notion of a whole community using a
particular large object memory to be rather strange, not something I
would expect as the default. The larger an object memory gets, the more
likely it is to have stuff that someone doesn't want.

	Continuing to tweak this large object memory will distract from the
task of building a modular system and a set of modules to go with it, as
it has distracted us for decades. :)

> The only thing I can tell you is that we are interested.

	Great! :)

> I could ask guys from here to have a look and build stuff on it but
> they should be able to play with it first. but you decide your plans

	Sure. As I mentioned previously, I want Squat to have a decent
module-loading-and-unloading demo before I release it, and that's
proceeding well.

	thanks again,

-C

--