About Flow in Squeak 3.X

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Dec 2 22:43:24 UTC 2003

>> No, but [there haven't been any releases yet] and [it takes a lot of
>> time and effort to make things move].
>
> 	Yeah. :)  Well, I hope that the design notes I've put out are of some
> help.

there were exicting sure!

>> Finally, tomorrow a rich company can also offer you to work for it in
>> the dark side :) for a lot of $ (I wish you that). and bye bye squat
>> flow...
>
> 	Well, all I can say is that I think that's very unlikely. :)  I want
> be able to keep using my own work, which effectively puts me in the
> same
> boat as the public. (Note that, for what it's worth, Flow itself has
> already been released a couple of times.)

I know this is why I asked because I would like to avoid to lose good
assets.

>> That's why I do not count in year.
>
> 	I couldn't parse that. :)  Do you mean, that's why you don't budget
> time around it?
I mean that I do not project myself too far in the future. You know MS
could be interest in traits and hop :)

>>> I actually think it'd be better to obviate any reasons to stay with
>>> the accreted snapshot. :)  Making major changes in the old snapshot
>>> will just slow that down.
>>
>> I could not understand that block :)
>
> 	I mean, currently we fuse (or "accrete") new stuff into the old stuff.
> That's what I think of as the "old way". I really like having that
> capability, but I think it's something that makes more sense for a
> single person. I've always found the notion of a whole community using
> particular large object memory to be rather strange, not something I
> would expect as the default. The larger an object memory gets, the more
> likely it is to have stuff that someone doesn't want.

Exact this is why I dream about a mini-image and packages...because
even if I value multimedia, I'm
a language freak.

> 	Continuing to tweak this large object memory will distract from the
> task of building a modular system and a set of modules to go with it,
> as
> it has distracted us for decades. :)

Yes

>> The only thing I can tell you is that we are interested.
>
> 	Great! :)
>
>> I could ask guys from here to have a look and build stuff on it but
>> they should be able to play with it first. but you decide your plans
>
> 	Sure. As I mentioned previously, I want Squat to have a decent
> module-loading-and-unloading demo before I release it, and that's
> proceeding well.

So we are waiting :)