using RegularExpressions for matching (was Re: deficience in Squeak)

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Wed Dec 3 04:11:23 UTC 2003

Here's where I came out on all of that.  Regex is useful only because
it is: (i) concise; (ii) powerful; and (iii) very fast.  It is a lot
like BitBlt in that regard, certainly like string searches, all of
which are Squeak primtiives.  Regex won't be useful in Squeak,
certainly not in the tools, unless it is powerfully fast, like a string
search.

rePlugin offers significantly more power (full Perl5) at excellent
speed than any other regex I have seen.  It is strong, well-tested and
robust.