[UPDATES] 29 for Squeak3.7alpha

dway at riskmetrics.com dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Dec 3 06:05:56 UTC 2003

The approved items for the last week...

------------------------------

5567KCP110ChangesFromToSTIm -- stephane ducasse -- 16 November 2003
move changes management methods from
SystemDictionary to SmalltalkImage.
Method moved in SmalltalkImage
and deprecated in SystemDictionary"

5568ObjectExplMenuEnh-nk -- Ned Konz -- 24 July 2003
This adds the full menu of the Inspectors to the ObjectExplorers.
It also adds the updating behavior from my prior change set called
ObjectExplorerUpdating.

5569VariableDefinitions -- Lukas Renggli -- 24 November 2003
This enhancement changes the generation of the variable-definition
strings in the class ClassDescription: #classVariablesString,
#instanceVariablesString and #sharedPoolsString.
There are two reason for this change:
- code that does the same basically, should have the same look/shape
- the unnecessary space at the end of every var-lists is hurting my
eyes"

5570Matrix-raok -- Richard A. O'Keefe -- 18 October 2002
This started with me noticing that many of the Collection methods that
make
sense for 2D arrays did not work for Squeak's Array2D class.  Having
fixed
that, I went on to provide a lot of other good stuff, but realised too
late that
Array2D has its subscripts in the wrong order so I don't want to use it
anyway.
Therefore I created a new Matrix class which does the same job as
Array2D but
is free of Array2D's more glaring defects.  In particular, elementwise
arithmetic,
matrix multiplication, transposition, swapping rows and swapping
columns, printing,
and element searches are provided.
This change set also adds unary math functions to Collection so they can
be used with Matrix and other collections.  aSet cos makes sense.
Some new methods for submatrices were added in November, in response to
some
questions from Bert Freudenberg.  Unfortunately, they were added to the
wrong
version, hence the need for a correction."

5571CCP004-IRBuilder -- Marcus Denker -- 14 November 2003
v2: removed Decompiler for now, will return after I add the RB-AST.
This is Anthony's IRBuilder. It's a symbolic Assembler for Squeak
Bytecodes:
ir := IRBuilder new
		rargs: #(self);
		pushLiteral: 1;
		returnTop;
		ir.

cm := ir compiledMethod.
cm valueWithReceiver: nil arguments: #().

5572animatedGif -- Michael Rueger, Tansel Ersavas -- 19 November 2003
Adds support for reading and displaying animated gifs to squeak.
-v2: sd remove new super initialize from AnimatedImageMorph.
It would be good to have a service for fileList :), any taker...

5573CCP003-GeneralEnh-ajh -- Anthony Hannan -- 22 June 2003
Fixes:
	Enhances failure code for elementsExchangeIdentityWith:.
	Enhances Interval + and -.
	Enhances LinkedList species, at: and add:before:.
	Enhances LookupKey name.
	Enhances Message printOn:.
	Moves tryNamedPrimitive... from Object to ProtoObject so simulator will
work correctly for all objects.
	Enhances Object copy by calling postCopy.
	Fixes Object newFrom: and copySameFrom: so as: will copy indexable
fields as well.
	Fixes Object in: so it will work with BlockClosures as well as
BlockContexts.
	Adds Object asStringOrText so all objects not just MethodReferences can
exist in list morphs and print.
	Adds ReadStream readStream to return self, so readStream can be sent
without worrying if the receiver is already a stream.
	Enhances Stream printOn: to show contents.
	Adds gray to TextColor constants.
	Fixes WriteStream setToEnd to update readLimit.
New Protocol:
	Object postCopy.
	Object literalEqual:.
	Integer as31BitSmallInt.
	Message sendTo:, setSelector:, lookupClass:, lookupClass.
	OrderedCollection removeFirst:, removeLast:.
	PositionableStream back, backChunck, peekBack.
	SequenceableCollection allButFirstDo:, allButLastDo:,
atLast:[ifAbsent:], atLast:put:, copyWithFirst:.
	MessageCatcher.

5574ProcessBrwsDeadProc-nk -- Ned Konz -- 19 November 2003
Fixes a situation in the ProcessBrowser where the process being watched
has just been killed and we get a walkback.

5575ObjectsThumbnailFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 7 September 2003
This change set resets the thumbnails for the Objects Tool and Tools
flap so that they aren't transparent in depth 32.
It also fixes a minor problem with the mode changing when you select the
Objects Tool's 'reset thumbnails' menu choice.
NOTE: this CS has a postscript that resets the thumbnails!"

5576HardcodedFonts-dgd-nk -- Diego Gomez Deck
<DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> -- 26 November 2003
Combination of:
- RemoveOfHardcodedEToysFonts-dgd
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-July/062488
.html)
- RemoveHardcodedFontsFix-nk
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-July/062501
.html).
- and objectsthumbnailfix-nk.1.cs (agreed with marcus)
4 simple conflicts with 3.7a (5566) solved:
- CategoryViewer class>>addNamePaneTo:
- Preferences>>fontConfigurationMenu
- ScriptEditorMorph class>>buttonRowForEditor
- ScriptStatusControl class>>initializeFor:
Preferences class>>fontConfigurationMenu also includes missing
#translated messages
Also includes the changes in ObjectsThumbnailFix-nk.1.cs to avoid
another conflict (agreed with Marcus Denker)

5577BreakpointSupport -- Ernest Micklei, Brent Vukmer, Marcus Denker --
Simple BreakPoints, implemented by Ernest Micklei.
md: I just added Brent's fix, recategorized some methods, put
the classes in Tools-Debugger and added a class comment to
BreakPoint.
Known issues:
- currently, only break-on-entry type of breakpoints are supported
- emphasis change not implemented for MVC browsers
- uninstalling the breakpoint doesn't auto-update other browsers
- uninstalling a breakpoint while debugging should restart-simulate the
current method
Ernest Micklei, 2002
Send comments to emicklei at philemonworks.com
This changeset contains this fix:
Change Set:		Breakpoint-Telnet-bkv
Date:			1 July 2003
Author:			Brent Vukmer <bvukmer at blackboard.com>
The Telnet package is unhappy because #Break is already defined in the
system. This changeset renames the class Break to BreakPoint and edits
Object >> break so that it referenced BreakPoint, allowed Telnet to
install."

5578becomeForwardCopyHash-brp -- Brent Pinkney -- 25 November 2003
This is the image support for
	Object>>#becomeForward:copyHash:
	Array>>#elementsForwardIdentityTo:copyHash:
A VM change is also required to introduce a new primitive
	Interpreter>>#primitiveArrayBecomeOneWayCopyHash
This change has been introduced in the VMMaker3-7a.sar package.
Note. The existing primitive primitiveArrayBecomeOneWay could have been
modified to support the new functionality but this would neccessitate a
simultaneous change to both the image and the virtual machine.

5579FixProjectsList-sbw -- Stephan B. Wessels -- 6 April 2002
The change set fixes the project hierarchy display.
Changes include:
	Fix the contents of the #showProjectHierarchyInWindow.
Date		Update
-------------
-----------
13-Apr-2003
			Updated for Squeak 3.5.  Problem has not been addressed yet.
06-apr-2002
			Initial release.

5580TextView -- Boris Gaertner -- 26 November 2003
In MVC, you encounter an error when you are in the debugger and try to
bring up the code pane menu. In the expression
thisContext sender receiver selectionInterval
the method #receiver returns an instance of PluggableTextView, which
does not understand the message selectionInterval. In Morphic, the
method #receiver returns a PluggableTextMorph, which understands
#selectionInterval. It is clear that compatible protocols would fix that
problem, therefore the method #selectionInterval was added to
PluggableTextView

5581IconsInTranslMenus-dgd -- Diego Gomez Deck
<DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> -- 29 November 2003
Simple fix un MenuIcons class>>putIcon:onItemWithWording:in: to consider
the translation.
This fix is working in Small-Land's image for months."

5582remSyntaxErTest-md -- Marcus Denker -- 24 November 2003
This just removes a TestCase that was added in the last
round of updates. The test will be added to the testsuite."

5583UrlSubclassesScheme -- Frank Shearar -- 20 November 2003
Url implements #scheme and #schemeName, both of which use
#subclassResponsibility to defer implementation.
Lint says that some subclasses of Url don't implement these messages -
'Subclass responsibility not defined'. This changeset implements these
messages for those subclasses of Url that don't already implement them."

5584yaxoRemoval -- Michael Rueger -- 22 July 2003
md: this is from SqueakMap. We have currently a pretty old Yaxo
version in the image, and actually it's not used by anything in the
image.
Added a postscript for removing the categories.
Removes Yaxo, the XML parser from the image."

5585SocketLocalAddress-mu -- Masashi Umezawa -- 26 November 2003
Socket>>localAddress, localPort always wait incoming connections, but
this behavior is not needed if the socket is already waiting
connections.
-To see the problem:
socket _ Socket newTCP.
socket listenOn: 8089.
socket localPort. ""before the patch it returns 0 after connection
timeout""

5586NebraskaServerFix-mu -- Masashi Umezawa -- 28 November 2003
A simple fix for Nebraska in 3.7a image.
NebraskaServer class>>newForWorld: now uses #basicNew instead of #new to
 avoid initialization problem.
-To see the problem:
>From the Navigator flap, push the share button.

5587wkspcFromFile-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 8 November 2003
Adds a file-list service affording the opening of a workspace on the
contents of any file.
Adds a command to the Workspace menu affording the appending of the
contents of any file to the workspace."

5588prefHelp-sw -- Scott Wallace -- 26 November 2003 (version 1)
Adds a listing of the names and descriptions of all extant preferences
to the preferences-help window.
Version 2,includes #translated calls for the benefit of Babel in Squeak
3.7.
Version 1 remains the correct one for use in pre-3.7 versions of
Squeak."

5589SmaCCRemoveNew-md -- Marcus Denker -- 28 November 2003
just removes the implementation of new from
SmaCCParser and SmaCCScanner."

5590IntThNav-enha-dgd -- Diego Gomez Deck <DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com>
& Norberto Manzanos -- 29 November 2003
Combination of IntThNav-enha-dgd and
InternalThreadNavigationMorph-currentIndex (26 October 2003) and changes
agreed with Stef.
>From IntThNav-enha-dgd (26 October 2003)
Some small changes to improve the usability of
InternalThreadNavigatorMorph
- move arrow to the other side to make the ellipse more visible
- the ellipse is a little bit bigger so it's easier to click on it
- make the sizes based on the default font size. bigger default font ->
biggerInternalThreadNavigatorMorph
>From InternalThreadNavigationMorph-currentIndex (26 October 2003)
- Minor fix in InternalThreadNavigationMorph>>currentIndex
Revision 29 November 2003
- All conflicts with 3.7a 5566 solved.
- #initialColor renamed to #defaultColor
- new methos #sizeRatio

5591InspectorEnh-ajh -- Anthony Hannan -- 22 June 2003
Adds #inspectorClass protocol that #inspect calls to find the
appropriate inspector for the receiver.  #basicInspect uses a new
generic inspector called BasicInspector.  CompiledMethods use a new
inspector class call CompiledMethodInspector, which display mnemonic
bytecode instructions and literals.  An inspector will change to the
appropriate class when being updated with a new receiver.
String asExplorerString has been changed to print its normal
printString.

5592WarningMacOSFileName-dgd -- Diego Gomez Deck
<DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com> -- 4 July 2003
- Make optional the warning about the Mac OS file name lenght.
- See the new Preferences option named warningForMacOSFileNameLength in
fileout category
Preferences
	addPreference: #warningForMacOSFileNameLength
	category: #fileout
	default: false
	balloonHelp: 'If true, a check for Mac OS file name length is
performed.'.

5593TestRunnerEnh-nk -- Ned Konz -- 6 August 2003
6 August 03 (1.9):
3.6 compatibility.
Made into a Model subclass.
Made debugger step to beginning of failed test case.
Added window colors.
Added to flaps registry.
Fixed browsing.
1 May '03 (1.8):
Fixed behavior of progress morph when collapsed and re-expanded.
23 Dec (1.7):
Fixed for compatibility with TestBrowser.
19 Dec:
Added fixes for abstract classes from Magistrello Alejandro.
19 Dec:
Added to World menu.
Made top divider work right.
Added button spacing.
Made it respect window color choice.
Kept select/deselect all from scrolling list.
15 Dec: kept it from scrolling back to the beginning
when you deselect a test.
I didn't like the TestRunner tying up the UI.
So this version runs tests in the background; I'm going
to post a TestCase subclass for UI testing soon.
Also:
* adds progress notification
* adds a stop button
* You can select which tests you want to run.
* It sorts the test cases by name.
* It works in a MVC project.
* It has a context menu for the selection list
* It allows you to select test cases by pattern
This includes changes by Stephan Wessels:
The most obvious changes will be related to the buttons having fixed
widths, and the small text panes having fixed heights regardless of
resizing.  The buttons use rounded corners and all the panes use window
existing preference settings for border shape and colors.  If the
optional buttons preference is turned on, the tests list pane includes
the main menu items as optional buttons.

5594MiscCommentBugs -- Bijan Parsia -- 19 November 2003
Found some typos and bugs in some comments as I poke around.
So, we need metacomments for these :)
FileList2 class comment contains the line:
	FileList2 morphicViewImageViewer openInWorld
But there is no such method in my 3.6 image. DELETED!
Form class>>openImageInWindow: had a typo for storeOn:
Given the class comment in ImageMorph, I wonder if this method should be
changed to return and ImageMorph rather than a SketchMorph, even though
ImageMorph is less functional. (ImageMorph's class comment claims that
it supercedes SketchMorph. The change is simple enough, i.e., change the
ifTrue: branch of the last statement from '[(SketchMorph withForm:
image) openInWorld]' to '[image asMorph openInWorld]'

5595ColorFormReadFrom-mu -- Masashi Umezawa -- 1 December 2003
In 3.7a, ColorForm>>readFrom: should be removed. It raises ""not
implemented"" error but actually it is not needed.
A simple test code, which raises the error before this changeSet:
---
originalColorForm _ ColorForm someInstance.
binaryStream _ ReadWriteStream on: (ByteArray new: 100).
originalColorForm writeOn: binaryStream.
binaryStream reset.
readColorForm _ ColorForm new readFrom: binaryStream.
originalColorForm bits = readColorForm bits

<This automated message brought to you by the UpdateIncorporationTool.>
<See the UpdateIncorporationTool package on SqueakMap for details.>