[Q] CCodeGenerator

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 3 23:07:56 UTC 2003

Chris Burkert <chris at chrisburkert.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the CCodeGenerator for other things than the
> VM.
As John pointed out, add vm plugins and you've exhausted the ambitions
of the CCodeGenerator.

> Are there activities to write a CodeGenerator and Subclasses that
> can generate C, C++ and maybe other languages?
Well, there _were_ a long time ago at Interval Research. We had a code
gen that could do a somewhat more interesting job and could produce
C sourcecode
Assembler source
Executable code in memory.
The latter two were intended to be possible for general CPUs but only
the ARM stuff was actually written and tested. The codebase is at
http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/translator.tar.gz
and I have no intention of providing any support whatsoever for it!

Bryce Kampjes (sp?) is working on something not entirely unrelated to
this as well.

tim
Remember the good old days, when CPU was singular?