[OT] C++ and Smalltalk fun

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Dec 4 21:40:11 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> > Unless I suppose one chooses to be very nit-picky and claim
> > that machine code is interpreted by the instruction decoder
> > section ofa cpu.
>
> Which, indeed, is precisely the case on modern CPUs.
Best to insert 'some' in there. ARMs don't interpret the instruction
set, they're hardwired logic. I think that MIPS don't either - in fact
I'd guess that most CPUs labelled as RISC don't. Then there is that
silly transmeta thingy that doesn't seem to know what it does.

tim
Useful random insult:- Runs squares around the competition.