About 3.7

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Dec 6 08:21:20 UTC 2003

  Hello,

> Thanks I read the pages.
> So I think that it would be good if the people wiling to have m17n in
> 3.7 would help its introduction in
> the image.

  The problem was that like this...  When I started preparing the
recent versions of m17n package for 3.6 release, the latest Squeak
version was 3.6 alpha.  My plan was to provide a good code base to be
merged as soon as a release (such as 3.6) is out; so that it can be
incorporated into the main release a bit easier.  I managed to put the
m17n package for 3.6 not too later than 3.6 release and expecting to
make it happen with the community.

  However, the way the update streams works isn't compatible with my
plan.  When 3.6 release was out, there were already bunch of 3.7 alpha
updates queued up; some of them require me to modify the m17n package
as it is somewhat *sensitive* to some kind of changes such as KCP-like
ones.  Even worse, some of the class names I think I used first, such
as 'English', 'Spanish' and etc., are taken over.

  In short, I need to tweak my package one more time anyway.

  What I would like Doug and Guides to do is to freeze the update for
a moment so that I can make a compatible version with the latest
alpha.  Otherwise, every little conflict beats me and it would never
get merged.

  And, please do use the latest m17n package even if you don't need
any of extended characters.  The change is supposed to be more or less
transparent for the 7-bit character set users.  For 8-bit users, it
isn't exactly...

  The reasonable fix is to provide new file name extension for new
format of change sets and file outs.  I once asked people what would
be a good ones but got no response.  Probably people don't care so I
may just go ahead and use '.mcs' and '.mst'.  (But .mc? remind of
monticello stuff so I should avoid them? Or it is good because we can
say that new family of externalized Squeak code use ".m??")

  It is clear that this won't be completed forever like as the Squeak
itself.  I always have things to fix and add.  But probably it is a
good time to get more hands to attack those problems.

-- Yoshiki

  The major three items are:

  * Unicode composition/decomposition.
  * FileNameInterpreter
  * R2L (For Hebrew first, and it should be the basis for Arabic.)