Q about seaside categories

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Dec 8 00:39:37 UTC 2003

On Dec 7, 2003, at 12:42 PM, Martin Kuball wrote:

> Whisker does it. And I like it very much.

Well, Whisker doesn't do it in a way that gives any advantage over the
PackagePaneBrowser - IIRC, it still only allows two levels of
hierarchy, it just represents them in a tree instead of with two
columns.  What I'd want is a fully hierarchical tree (one level for
each '-' in the category name) in the first column, with all of the
subcategories of whatever level you've selected in the second column.
So, if I have #('Foo-Bar-A', 'Foo-Bar-B', 'Foo-Baz'), I could either
select the top level 'Foo', and get all three in the second column, or
I could expand that node in the tree to see 'Foo-Bar' and 'Foo-Baz',
and select 'Foo-Bar' to get 'Foo-Bar-A' and 'Foo-Bar-B' in the second
column.

> I don't understand why we can't have 1 top level category for seaside.
> Every
> seaside category starts with "seaside/" . Replacing this with
> "seaside-" will
> give us 1 top level and 5 sub-categories. Or am I missing something?

Here's a selection from the 31 categories in the most recent version of
Seaside:

'Seaside/Base-Connections'
'Seaside/Base-Platform'
'Seaside/Session-Core'
'Seaside/Session-Preferences'
'Seaside/Session-Utilities'
'Seaside/Rendering-Core'
'Seaside/Rendering-Callbacks'

In the PackagePaneBrowser, these get grouped into 5 toplevel categories
- Seaside/Session, Seaside/Rendering, etc.  Each of these has around 6
subcategories.  If tool the slash out ('Seaside-Base-Connections'),
then there would be one top-level category ('Seaside'), with 31
subcategories.  With the current tools, there's no easy way to show one
top-level category, 5 second level categories, and 31 third level
categories, which is what you seem to be suggesting (and what I would
also ideally like).