Gentoo AMD64 32bit build problems

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Tue Dec 9 04:27:55 UTC 2003

On Monday 08 December 2003 7:02 pm, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> Ned Konz wrote:
> > On Friday 05 December 2003 8:10 am, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> >>My apologies for not including source information.
> >>I am using as far as I can tell the latest from Ian, the 3.6g2 sources.
> >
> > I believe that those sources lack some recent fixes.
> >
> > You might try the updated version from the Sourceforge CVS. It has all
> > the changes that were posted since the 3.6g2 version. The master server
> > is up to date; I don't know if the mirror (anonymous login) server has
> > caught up with John McIntosh's latest addition to sq.h but you probably
> > don't need it.
> >
> > Also get the latest VMMaker from SqueakMap.
> >
> > cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak login
> > <empty password>
> > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak co
> > squeak
>
> I did that and did a VMMaker run, but I have no configure script in the
> /platforms/unix/config/ directory.
>
> I have a configure.ac but can't get autoconf to do anything with it.
> I'm not sure how to use autoconf.
>
> I've done both:
>
> ./autoconf
> ./autoconf configure.ac

Ah, you missed the secret makefile...

cd platforms/unix/config
make
cd ../../..
mkdir build
cd build
../platforms/unix/config/configure
make

OR:

cd platforms/unix/config
make
cd ../../..
platforms/unix/config/build

Here's my whole recent test log:

mkdir /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest
cd /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/squeak co squeak

inisqueak (3.7a-5548) (puts squeak.image, .changes, etc. into /home/ned/
Squeak/VM/cvstest)

update code from server (to 5595)
open/Package Loader
update SqueakMap to 1.09
install VMMaker 3.6g-2
reconsider, and get the newest from Tim's site (http://sumeru.stanford.edu/
tim/pooters/SqFiles/packages/VMMaker/VMMaker3-7a2.sar)
Load that too.
Install Balloon3D (1.0.3) from SqueakMap

Realize that Tim also has something called VMCodePackage.9.cs available
Get that.
Open a changelist browser on it, and remove all the up-to-date methods.
Get confused as to what it is supposed to be, and ignore it.

Open VMMaker.
Point the platforms path at where I put the CVS stuff (in /home/ned/Squeak/VM/
cvstest/squeak)
tell it to find path, then clean out.

Try to tell everything to be internal, find out that it won't.
(later: this is because I didn't point to the platforms directory)

Change the "path to generated sources" from /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/src
to /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/squeak/src

Try it again, still no luck.

Save Squeak and quit.

Get frustrated, and move all the Squeak image stuff down into
/home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/squeak.

cd /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/squeak

(in which there is a platforms/ directory and a src/ directory)

start squeak again

set platforms path to /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/squeak/platforms
set platform to unix
set src path to /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/squeak/src

say "make all internal"; much more successful.

Say "generate all".
Save and quit.

mkdir build (/home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/build)

cd platforms/unix/config
make

cd ../../../build
../platforms/unix/config/configure

make

stuff happens...

get an error in building one of the GL files. (should be fixed by omitting the
Balloon3D plugin until I figure out what the problem is)

Anyway, this should get you a bit further