Gentoo AMD64 32bit build problems

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 9 05:35:30 UTC 2003

Ned Konz <ned at squeakland.org> wrote:

> install VMMaker 3.6g-2
> reconsider, and get the newest from Tim's site (http://sumeru.stanford.edu/
> tim/pooters/SqFiles/packages/VMMaker/VMMaker3-7a2.sar)
> Load that too.
Ooh, I'm not sure I'd load both. No telling what confusion might arise.
<sucking teeth sounds>

> Install Balloon3D (1.0.3) from SqueakMap
Good.

> Realize that Tim also has something called VMCodePackage.9.cs available
d'oh! Bad move. That's a really old version of VMMaker kept
available for really-behind-the-times-man.
> Get that.
> Open a changelist browser on it, and remove all the up-to-date methods.
> Get confused as to what it is supposed to be, and ignore it.
Better. Ignore thechangeset beined the curtain.

> Open VMMaker.
Good.

> set platforms path to /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/squeak/platforms
> set platform to unix
> set src path to /home/ned/Squeak/VM/cvstest/squeak/src
You shouldn't need to set the platform type - it is defaulted
to whatever Smalltalk platform returns. Ah-hmm. wonder if those KCP
doods have twisted that bit yet?
The platforms path defaults to {current directory}/platforms but you
can point it anywhere sensible. 'sensible' means a directory that has a
subdirectory called 'platforms' and where said subdirectory has at
least the 'Cross' and '{your platform name here}' directories from the
CVS tree.

> say "make all internal"; much more successful.
On unix OSs, it _should_ work ok whatever combination of internal and
external you choose. Ian went to considerable clevertrickiness to make
the config stuff derive the proper mix from the intplugins and
extplugins files that VMMaker writes.

On windows I think you have to make everything internal, on Mac I think
ditto (except the mpeg?) and on RISC OS make it all external.

tim
Strange OpCodes: VDP: Violate Design Parameters