SqueakPeople rewrite and grand plans

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Dec 12 08:10:34 UTC 2003

> ducasse  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>> I will let lukas reply as he is the guy having the vision and mainly
>> implemented everything.
>>
> Why? I'm not questioning the design decisions underlying SmallWiki (au
> contraire, I think they are very sound), I'm questioning your bringing
> it up as a better candidate then Seaside, HV, and whatnot :-).

Ok so my point is that we started smallWiki more than a year ago and at
that time
there was that much choice.

Now extending SmallWiki to have SeaSide  components should not be
difficult.
Our problem is that we do not want to get trapped in the Squeak niche.
Because
SmallWiki works on all dialects right now which does not mean that we
cannot have specific
dialect components/ extensions. For example, we do not know if HV is
running in VisualWorks
and as you can see we did not use the VW frameworks only web related
stuff because we wanted SmallWiki
to be above the "micro" families that we have around (you know the
great Squeak package that only works in
Squeak, /s/ Squeak VW).
The fact that seaside works on VW and Dolphin is clearly an indication
for us that he would be a good candidate for further
extensions.

But one single guy taking 8 different lectures, working in a company
and doing a cool master cannot
do everything, even if supervised by some smart guys like us.
So my point was just to say let us try to build something together and
SmallWiki can be a good host for that.

>> When we say well designed this means for example having a good parser
>> and not something hacked by hand in the dark.
>>
> And I like that a lot. I do hope to steal a lot more work from
> SmallWiki
> than just the parser (as I already did ;-)).
I know because we worked a lot to have a good structure model and
parser.
But do not only steal, use and extend is much more clever on the long
run.
because everybody would benefit from that.

So we will continue to work and if people want to join
and help they are welcome.

Stef