SqueakPeople rewrite and grand plans

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Fri Dec 12 08:28:26 UTC 2003

ducasse  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>Our problem is that we do not want to get trapped in the Squeak niche.

Sorry for sounding argumentative (and I hope you'll be a good sports
here ;-)), but you said that *I* should take a look at SmallWiki.

Well, I simply *love* to be trapped in the Squeak niche. Because I
believe it won't be a niche for long (argument about the demise of VW
and VA snipped), in any case Squeak will be longer around than most of
its competitors (we're even very seriously considering to move from VW
to Squeak, and I know we're not the only company in that position). As
far as I'm concerned, there is a standard, ubiquitous Smalltalk
platform, and it happens to be called 'Squeak'.

So that argument doesn't hold for this particular project. Now, you
wanted to sell me something - tell me, why should I buy your product.
All sorts of design decisions which are very valid in general but don't
apply to this particular project are hardly going to convince me. You
need to argument why SmallWiki is better than Kom/Seaside/HV/..., not
that SmallWiki is the only cross-platform solution ;-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,