Recompiling the class CompiledMethod

Nathanael Schärli n.schaerli at gmx.net
Fri Dec 12 14:14:54 UTC 2003

Hi

I tried to add a class variable to the class CompiledMethod, but
unfortunately, the class fails to be recompiled. The problem is that the
ClassBuilder needs to recreate all the instances of the old class so
that they are instances of the new class. But this does not work because
CompiledMethod overrides basicNew: so that it cannot be executed (i.e.,
shouldNotImplement).

Even after I fixed this (i.e., after making sure that equivalent
CompiledMethods with a new class can be created), it was still not
possible to add a new class variable to CompiledMethod, because the
ClassBuilder crashed the VM.

Does anybody know why this is?

Nathanael