[ANN] BFAV 2.0 available on SqueakMap

Brent Vukmer brentvukmer at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 23:39:04 UTC 2003

The alpha release of the BFAV2 went up on SqueakMap on
December 14th, 2003 - mostly thanks to Ken Causey!
Load the "BFAV2 Installer" package to install BFAV
2.0, then go to the World menu > open ... > BFAV.

BFAV 2.0 looks pretty similar to BFAV 1.31.  Most of
the work that went into BFAV 2.0 went into two goals:
1. Connecting the BFAV 1.x UI to a new back-end hosted
on the SqF server
2. Cleaning up the UI and Model packages to make them
easier to understand and maintain

The most noticeable changes are:
- The listing for the entire archive is loaded at once
-- 14,255+ posts!
- The email message for a post is not loaded until you
select the post in the listing
-- This means you'll see a wait cursor when you click
on a post you haven't viewed before
- Once an email message has been downloaded, the body
text and attachments are stored on disk, not in memory
-- This means you'll always see a wait cursor when you
 click on a post :)
--- However, the wait should be very short when the
email is already downloaded
- Filtering preferences are stored in Preferences
- Filtering changes only take effect when you choose
the mouse-menu option "apply filter changes"
- There are three text input boxes instead of four
- "Text in title or body:" has been changed to "Text
in title: "
-- Filtering based on body text would require either
downloading every email message in the archive, or
some pretty fancy footwork that I didn't want to
attempt
- All BFAV 2.0 menu options are found in the listing
pane mouse-menu

BFAV 2.0 has been tested on Mac and Linux and didn't
have any obvious problems.  BFAV 2.0 was tested on
Windows 2000, where there were some issues related to
the HTTPClient library not retrieving an HTTP response
correctly; I think this might be a Windows VM issue
but I haven't looked at it very hard.  Help
troubleshooting this problem would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Brent Vukmer