[ANN] Object Oriented Christmas (Squeak PC)

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Mon Dec 15 16:31:09 UTC 2003

On Sunday 14 December 2003 10:07 pm, I wrote:
> * take mouse/CF down to iBook
> * plug in
> * open terminal
> * su
> * umount /dev/disk1s1 (which the automounter had mounted)
> * dd if=/dev/disk1 of=savedStuff bs=1024k
> * open Disk Utility
> * re-partition disk
> * verify that there are no contents in new partition
> * back to terminal
> * umount /dev/disk1
> * dd if=savedStuff of=/dev/disk1 bs=1024k

A probably unnecessary warning/disclaimer here, BTW:

Don't do this if you're going to blame me for telling you to do it!

For any of you readers out there who aren't familiar with dd or your Mac's
hardware:

THIS CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS!

what this is doing is copying raw data onto a raw hard disk.

If you have more than one hard disk before you plug in the CF, the "disk1"
part will be different. You have to find out what disk number the CF is
appearing as (you can do "ls /dev/disk*" before and after plugging the CF
reader in).

If you mistype and say "disk0" instead of "disk1" you will COMPLETELY TRASH
your MAIN HARD DISK'S partition table and file systems.

So be really sure you know what you're doing before typing!

(or do what I did: use someone else's Mac!)

Ned