"select: Bad file number"

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Tue Dec 16 04:31:18 UTC 2003

I'm doing some load testing on Seaside at work and I wrote up some code
that creates a lot of connections to the server.  If I have 100
simultaneous Processes going, it seems to be ok (at least in terms of
the bug I'm about to describe).  When I tried it with 1000 simultaneous
client Processes, however, after about a minute and a half the server
image starts pumping out "select: Bad file number" to the console as
quickly as its little legs will let it.

Now I assume this is related to running out of sockets or something, but
does this trigger anything for anybody?  Does this represent some
problem in the VM or in the Seaside code or is it just a fact of life?
Seems like we should be able to handle it better somehow...

Both images are 3.6-g2 VM's, the client on linux and the server on solaris.

Any help appreciated,

Julian