Using Squeak to access VST Plugins?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Dec 16 06:47:56 UTC 2003

'ello sound fiends-

I've come across a fine piece of software (Arturia's CS-80V synth
emulator) which I'd like to use through Squeak. Well, Squeak itself isn't
neccesary, but it seems the easiest means to an end for a Squeaker like
myself.

I know little about apps like Logic or the VST plug-ins that go along, and
I'm hoping someone here (Craig, anyone?) may know a little, enough to shed
some light.  How hard would it be to, using the VST SDK, create a plugin
for Squeak that allows Squeak to load and use VST plugins?  The idea being
for a Squeak app to control the plugin. I'm thinking of instruments made
as VST plugins, like the CS-80V synth emulator.

The end goal for this project would be to create some kind of controls for
all of the wonderful sliders and knobs this synth provides. My most lofty
goal related to it would be to have a hardware control panel that would
resemble the real deal and allow me to get that feeling you only get with
real knobs and sliders- the kind of thing using my mouse could never
provide.  My not-as-lofty goal would just be to control the instrument
through Squeak and rock out a little. :)

Regards,
Aaron

--
"the profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the path
    of least resistance is what makes a river crooked."   ::  u. utah phillips