[Q] stackbased/registerbased VM

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Dec 16 11:25:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 05:28:55PM +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> There are many books and papers about VMs.
> For example, the book about BCPL by Richards and Whitby-Strevens
> describes the OCODE vm for BCPL.  Ultimately it all goes back to
> Dijkstra's Algol 60 compiler, one of the first Algol 60 compilers.

Funny that you should mention this. I expect to be speaking with
Martin Richards (by phone) for the first time a couple of hours
from now, and the BCPL book happens to be sitting on the desk next
to me right now. Richards' BCPL system and Cintpos runtime are
quite interesting by the way. Transparent all the way down, just
like Squeak.

Dave