[slightly OT]Re: rich text in Squeak

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Dec 18 16:57:30 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM wrote:

> Bijan Pasia wrote:
> >NEXT had RTF text widget support from the very start, plus a cool
> >Smalltalkesque development enviroment and...well...lost. I don't think
> the
> >RTF support mattered significantly either way.
>
> Pardon my digression here, but Mac OS-X would seem to refute the claim
> that NeXT "lost."  Probably the only 'significant' change is the
> substitution of Quartz for Display Postscript.

You're kidding, right?

The change was being bought by a vastly huger company with an enormous
installed base, and the top down imposed change, a very large rewrite of
big chunks, plus a migration strategy for old code. Plus, a big ole
marketing campaign. I seriously doubt that RTF had a bit to do with it.

I think MacOSX backward compatibily is a pretty freaking huge change.

If Squeak is picked up by Microsoft and imposed on everyone as the future
of Windows, then I'm sure we'll win too. In some sense. But not with the
mere addition of RTF!!!

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.