[slightly OT]Re: rich text in Squeak

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 18 17:39:01 UTC 2003

> I think MacOSX backward compatibily is a pretty freaking huge change.

I think you're confusing Classic (the OS9 sandbox), Carbon (the OS9 API
running on OSX ) and Cocoa (the descendant of NextStep).  They run side
by side - Cocoa has nothing to do with backward compatibility.

Where they share is in data interchange with drag and drop, the
clipboard, AppleEvent support, etc, but they're totally different
technologies.

Of course, support RTF didn't make any difference in the current status
of Mac OSX, and since I can't find anyone you made that claim to begin
with, you've set up a strawman.  I only brought it up because a major
OS developed by very smart people has chosen it for rich text
interchange, but that's all I intended to convey.  Apple makes no
attempt to support the whole thing, just the 90th percentile subset
that anyone rational cares about. Take it or leave it.

I'm in general agreement with part of your point - that we occasionally
get new folks who assign us all tasks that they earnestly believe will
"save" Squeak from oblivion and expect us to jump on it.  Perhaps this
is one of those cases - an RTF "Notepad" in Squeak by itself is not
going to change anything in terms of broad mindshare.  However, there
is an embedded truth here - we currently have no reasonably easy way to
import and export any common rich text documents between Squeak and
common external sources - HTML at first glance might seem to work
except that most word processors don't export HTML, and those that do
typically generate solely for consumption in a browser, and even fewer
import HTML.  Even then, HTML is a poor choice, and you can see by
cutting and pasting from browsers into word processors.  One of the
objections I've seen here about RTF, embedded proprietary objects,
certainly applies to HTML.

This is not to say we should drop everything and work on RTF
import/export.  We all scratch our own itches with Squeak, and perhaps
the original poster will decide that it's important enough to learn
Squeak sufficiently to write it - that's why I've invested time (with
help from others) in XML, PNG, Jabber and other miscellaneous
contributions that have found their way into Squeak in some form.  Note
that almost all of them are about data interchange.

Perhaps gentle encouragement in that direction might be more productive.

-- Duane