About test presence

Peter van Rooijen peter at vanrooijen.com
Fri Dec 19 20:20:00 UTC 2003

> > Okay, good goals. What exactly don't you like about the current
> > situation?
>
> Tests are currently on a package on squeak map and only freaks like me
> may want to load them
> but even me I'm too lazy to load them. So having tests in the image is
> the way to go.

I agree 100% that having the tests in the image is the way to go.

What do you see as the reason that currently the tests are so troublesome to
access, aren't loaded into the image together with the code that they test?

I'm not certain, but could it be that SUnit tests depend on SUnit being
present, and people don't want their product code to depend on SUnit, so
they put their tests in a different package, which then leads to the
situation that the tests are somewhere in an archive instead of in your
image?

If so, it seems that the design of SUnit is a factor that contributes to the
low visibility of test code in the image.

The testing system that I wrote because I didn't want to live with the many
shortcomings of SUnit, does not introduce dependencies from the test scripts
on any other code, so you are free to put your tests in special test
classes, or in the classes under test, or both, as you like it.

Not that this observation solves your problem, of course, because you want
to keep using SUnit, because it is standard, and that is a very valid
reason. But it could well be that you have to work against the tool to
achieve your aim.

Cheers,

Peter