mac vm 3.7.1b1 (testing)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Dec 20 18:36:30 UTC 2003

On Dec 20, 2003, at 3:31 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   No, its
>> EventKeyDown
>> charCode = 224
>> EventKeyChar
>> charCode = 136
>> EventKeyUp
>> charCode = 224
>>
>> which is what pre 3.7.0.bx VMs would generate.
>
>   Ah.  but I meant that (136, 136, 136) looks more correct.  Isn't it?

Back when the event driven versus polling VM was introduced it was
decided to send up the
keyboard key number for EventKeyUp/Down and the macroman value for
EventKeyChar, which was
in keeping with historical VM. Based on the key number you could in
theory monitor function keys, the original mac adb keypad
etc etc.

Two years back  Jef Raskin asked about the ability to see if it was the
left or right shift key held down.
Squeakers who look will note there is support for this, BUT Apple in
their wisdom brought out laptop hardware
that ties the shift keys together so you can't tell (it lies). Mind you
in doing this we worked out how to track
the modifier keys so you can track their state.

> --
===