macroman versus unicode versus m17n support

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 22 05:14:41 UTC 2003

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
> Therefore I'm considering changing the  logic to generate
> EventKeyDown,EventKeyChar,EventKeyUp {repeats}
> and to send up the Unicode for EventKeyDown/EventKeyUp
> and to send up the MacRoman translated value from the Unicode for
> EventKeyChar

Is Unicode sufficient for *key* events?  I am guessing that Unicode does
not include things like:

	F11
	PageUp
	Keypad_Enter
	Alt

How about using the XWindows encodings, instead?  The X guys have put a
ton of effort into designing a platform-independent encoding of keyboard
keys, and so we would be get a big boost from reusing this.

I've made a Wiki page about the topic, and it includes a C header file
with a list of key encodings:

	"Key Events"
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3503

Also, Andreas seems (tentatively) happy with the XWindows encoding.  And
since obviously the Unix port can easily support XWindows encoding, that
would mean XWindows is convenient at least for the big three platforms.