References to developing applications in Squeak

hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 30 16:07:49 UTC 2003

>  I want to develop educational software in Squeak,
>for Squeak's multimedia function is strong. But I am
>not familiar with GUI design in Squeak, so whoever
>knows good references to developing applications,
>please write back to me! thanks
>   Regards,
>            Lulu

Hello

There are efforts in Squeak to do traditional GUI design (e.g. BobsUI see
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1984 ) in Squeak.

But for your intended application (e-learning) the direct use of Morphic
is surely more appropriate. ( http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/30 ).

You start in the main project and you add subproject. In the projects you
do layouts and arrangements of the things you want to show (think of Powerpoint
or Impress). You place morphs on the desktop. The morphs may be animated
by the tile-based scripting language 'e-toys' or you may directly program
them in Smalltalk. A simple example of a button which jumps to another project
you find under
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2284 - Morph mouse up action (Smalltalk
expression)

A useful morph might as well be the plotmorph http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2626
and http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2382

There are quite some examples on the web how to set up Morphic projects for
e-learning. However there could be more ....

An interesting page to visit is surely the Kyoto school project
http://www.squeakland.org/images/news/news.htm
( I know there is a better link - one with larger screenshots of actual projects
but I do not have it handy.)

I hope this helps a bit.

Regards
Hannes