rich text in Squeak

Peter Crowther peter at ozzard.org
Wed Dec 31 11:44:11 UTC 2003

> From: [...] Darius
> Could Open Office provide the ideal, standard, multi-lingual,
> multi-platform rich text format for Squeak?

Well, I don't have it installed on my iPAQ, and I rather doubt Tim has it
installed on his Acorn.  To my mind, one of the strengths of Squeak is that
it *is* as self-contained as it is.

Speaking entirely personally, if I were doing this, I'd go with XHTML + CSS2
for the job - CSS3 if you're feeling adventurous - and try to construct the
core of a layout system that could work with CSS features.  You can do some
pretty effective layout with those, their use is increasing, and we'd get
the benefit of a kernel that could then be used for older (and often
buggier) HTML.  But then, I've been involved with W3C standards, so I guess
I'm biased!

		- Peter