Problems with Collection again.

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 4 10:51:12 UTC 2003

Roel Wuyts <roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 02:15 AM, Janet Abdul-Karim wrote:
[SNIP]
> Warning: When you step through this piece of code, you will see that
> the result of the #add: is the aAccount you just added. So at least
> make sure that you did not write:
> portfolio := portfolio add: aAccount.

Good detective work Roel! And I agree - the debugger is our friend.

Janet - just put a "self halt." somewhere in your code and when the
notifier pops up - choose the debugger and step along. And look at the
variables and what they are. Also remember that you can use do-it,
print-it etc in the debugger and in the "inspect panes".

IMHO we could really move the development forward by making the debugger
more advanced. It is good - sure, but since we can actually code on the
fly in it we should aim to make it more suited for that. Or build a new
tool that has that in mind.

I would want a debugger that acts like a "just in time coding tool" -
when it hits a DNU it should be able to present me with a template of
the method (method name and perhaps even parameter names entered (like
'a' + arg class name or similar) that I can author on the fly.

I read somewhere that Kent Beck really likes this kind of
JIT-programming because all the context is right there - I tend to
agree.

I have been doing this a lot in Dolphin this last week because I am
hammering on complex algorithms that are hard to just "stare at".

regards, Göran