Morphic tutorial

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 14:41:10 UTC 2003

Having just gone through this a few months ago, here is what I would
recommend for introductory reading/playing material:

1. First, read through the "ReadMe.txt" that is included in the base
distribution.

2. Play with all the cool stuff in the "Welcome to ... Squeak" window
and "The Worlds of Squeak" in the base image to get familiar with
interacting with Squeak.

3. Do the "Painting", "Handles", and "Make your own car" tutorials
pointed to by http://www.squeakland.org/author/etoys.html

4. Do John Maloney's "Morphic Tutorial" and "Tutorial on Morphic" which
are pointed to by http://www.squeak.org/documentation/index.html

5. Do the "Counter Tutorial" pointed to by
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/30  (There are a bunch of other
interesting Morphic tutorials linked to by this same page).

6. Do the fishy Wonderland tutorial at
http://www.consultar.com/Squeak/tutorial/ (I couldn't get through to
this the last time I tried)

7. Look through the Squeak FAQ, Squeak Bons Mots, and other great stuff
at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1

8. Make sure that you read "Basic Squeak Development Tools" linked to
from the Squeak FAQ "Programming in Squeak" section.  You may also want
to print out the "Squeak Quick Reference" documents on the Swiki.

9. Read through the "MorphicLayoutArticle" project at
http://209.143.91.36/super/gallery1 (and play with a few of the other
project while you're at it!)

10. Pick a modest project, and start building it.  It's probably
easiest to start by modifying something that already exists rather than
starting from scratch, but do whatever you're comfortable with.

One of the first projects that I did was to modify the BouncingAtoms
object to use MovingEyes instead of just dots so that I had a bunch of
flying eyeballs looking around.

11. Ask questions on the mailing list.  It's a great source of help!