Squeak Documentation Project

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Feb 6 10:47:32 UTC 2003

Hi

I think that all the effort to **externalize documentation** are
doomed!!!!!
Please consider to have documentation inside the image in a
****synchronized*** manner.
Documentation will be obsolete just after you wrote it. Believe me, I
worked in reengineering.

The only way to go for squeak is to write tests runnable executable
tests. Look at the great test suites for uuid. Or for digit
manipulation. I do nothing about bitshift but I can read the tests and
understand that ((1 biftShift: 100) biftshift: -100) = 1 is right.

Again you see that tests DOCUMENT the interface of the objects.

If you do not understand uuid like me just read them and you will see
that you will get a precise idea of uuid. So writing documentation as
SUnit is the only way to have documentation inside the image that will
be ***always in sync*** with the image and ***CRUCIAL*** those Tests
will support the possibility to change Squeak.

Note that the tests will also help the harvesters too.
So if you want to participate into documentation write tests in Sunit.
There is a tutorial on SUNit I translated for that purpose
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/Books.html

But the squeakers prefer to hack apparently. This is just too bad.

Stef

Prof. Dr. Stéphane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/