Re-doing Morphic ( Was: Re: Traits prototype image )

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 6 16:58:00 UTC 2003

> 1) A consistent widget set that allows arbitrary embedding of morphs.
> One could embed a blob morph in a buttonmorph in a list widget morph,
> and have it work. It may never be used, but it should work! ( GTK
> allows embedding of almost all widgets in almost all other widgets ).
> Also widgets should have a sane default layout and clipping policy.
> JAVA's widget defaults are better than Morphic.

Full embedding works for most morphs.  Anyway, as for full and
consistent widget sets, there is at least Bob's UI, Prefab, and Zurgle
to look into.  Probably a commercial developer would want to use one of
these, rather than stick with what comes with Squeak.

> 2) Rework the imaging model, to a combined raster-vector system under
> the hood, it should support SVG style functionality. Having rock solid
> vector support would provide the necessary tools for making working
> with fonts easier. Arbitrary relative and global transforms w/o the
> need for a 'transform' morph. Transforms would be a internal morph
> property. Thus all morphs could be transformed and moved easily.
> "Transform" morphs used to break message propagation to contained
> morphs. Delete the morph, and the transform morph still hangs around, I
> don't know if this was ever fixed...

Mmm, that sounds so awesome.  I have a screen here running at 1600x1200
resolution.  Even with everything antialiased, that should give me an
effective 800x600, right?  The hardware is here now to support rendering
with inches instead of pixels.

-Lex