3.4gamma sources

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 7 16:58:29 UTC 2003

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> appears to have written:

> It would be nice if the VM could pass up a "sources directory" which is
> the location for sources files.  It's annoying to have to copy it around
> or make lots of symbolic links.
Last time I checked the VM provide the vmPath and the image assumes that
the .sources file right there. It might be nice if a commandline
argument could subvert that somewhat, though it ought to have a new
primitive since the _actual_ vmpath might have some use somewhere.
Shouldn't be too hard to make a way to have it fallback gracefully to
the old way.

Keeping the .sources file alongside the vm is quite a nice approach on
some machines; RiscOS does it very happily since I just leave it in the
aplication directory. I think OSX bundles would probably like that too.
I would have thought that a typical *nix end-user install would be ok
with it as well - have
/var/apps/stupid/long/path/name/to/who/knows/where/squeak/[vm,.sources,/
*.so, whatever]

tim
--
|Though a nation watched her falling, yet a world could only cry |