AA graphics library development.

Jim.Gettys at hp.com Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Fri Feb 7 18:23:26 UTC 2003

At one point last month, someone asked where to go to get plugged into the
development Carl Worth and Keith Packard are doing on a good AA 2D graphics library.

I never replied, sorry.

The pointer is xsvg.org: don't let the name get you too concerned: right now,
Carl is making the Render functionality into a library, so it can be shared
between client and server (to be bug for bug compatible);
this results in a library able to render directly to
pixels, and not X specific.  Layers built on top then handle whether
the graphics will be done locally, or at the X server using Render.  So
Squeak could use this and then transport the pixels to whatever window
system underlies squeak.

Note that Carl and Keith have submitted a paper to Siggraph on various
of this work; I'm very impressed (I hope it gets accepted).
They do splines better than *anybody* else, at this point....

                          - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory