3.4 event system holding objects?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Feb 8 15:28:00 UTC 2003

On Friday 07 February 2003 11:33 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Some browsing in 3.4 (the problematic image) and my slightly
> older 3.2 image reveals that my 3.4 image includes
> Object>>when:evalaute, and that #when:send:to: and friends are
> written in terms of it instead of #when:perform: as in 3.2.  I find
> this suspicious because #when:evaluate: was removed from Dolphin
> quite some time ago, specificially because it was causing
> problems with large networks of objects that were immune to the
> gc.
>
> Comments?

Hi Bill,

The 3.4 image includes a number of changesets that attempt to make the
event system use weak references for registration.

I don't know what Dolphin has to do with this problem in Squeak,
though.

It's our intention to make this event system as clean and leak-free as
possible. Could you poke around some more to see what's not getting
GC'd? It could be that the actors are responsible for hanging onto
the events, and something else is holding on to the actors.

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com