[DOCS] Re: Squeak Documentation Project

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Feb 9 13:22:14 UTC 2003

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:

> * Definitely use the GaTech Squeak Swiki as a starting point, rather than a
> separate swiki.  There is quite a bit of documentation on the Swiki, while
> sometimes disorganized, could be directly linked to from your pages.  I see
> that someone has already started by creating an "SDP" page on the Swiki, which
> could be one starting point for discussion.  (One thing I would change on that
> page is to change the links at the bottom to things like *Basic Squeak
> Development Tools* instead of *http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/4*.)

Also, on the front page there is a heading "Documentation", which has
subheadings on major topics within Squeak.  I was hoping this would be a
table of contents for topics within Squeak, but people seem to overlook
it.  A notable example is the "Morphic" link undereath that subheading,
which has loads of information about Morphic.  We can always use more
documentation, but I wish people would take try browsing from this
location before giving up.  It's as central as it gets aside from
putting it right in the image.

It also forms a great starting point for any *editor* who wants to go
through and see what we have and what is missing.    IMHO, we don't lack
overall quantity and we don't lack effort.  We *do* lack organization, both of
existing material and of volunteer effort.  We don't need a morphic
tutorial, for example, but we still get a new one every few months.  We
*do* need a document on programming dialogue boxes in Morphic, but I
don't think one exists.

There is in existence a "Document Requests" page:

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1921

On second thought, though, a better way to do this is to find the place
underneath Documentation where a desired article should go, and then make a
link to a new page on the topic.  On the new page, just write "Someone
write this, please".

-Lex