[DOCS] Project "Magic Book"

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Mon Feb 10 10:18:46 UTC 2003

"Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene" <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> >Brent and I (Shane)  have announced our commitment to a DOCS
> >project, as team members.  And specifically to the "Magic Book"
> >idea.
>
> >We are currently awaiting any "me toos" from the list.  If we do not
> >hear from anyone on the list by the end of today, we will move
> >forward as The DOCS Team of Two.
>
> Can I help ?
> I'm in the task from do some tutorials / documentation in Spanish and like
> someone more experienced guide me.
> You can see that in http://ar.geocities.com/edgardec2001/Welcome.html
> Edgar

Hello Don Edgar

I looked at your page
http://ar.geocities.com/edgardec2001/Welcome.html

My first impressions
The first link goes to the University of  Erlangen which requires a
password - disapointing ....
(It goes to copyrighted VisualAge material)

The link to the S. Ducasse site is good
A recommendation:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/Programmez/OnTheWeb/Art2-Eng-A
minimalistSyntax.pdf
Would be a nice thing to translate to Spanish and publish it on the web
page or in a journal (you have to contact Stephane D.)

The http://www.squeakdoc.org/ link leads to a dead end (Squeak doc
project closed).

I didn't look thouroughly through your tutorials but they seem to be OK.

Why not revive the SUGAR (Smalltalk Users Group Argentina) swiki by
putting
your tutorials there?
http://sugar.swiki.net/1

The problem is to get a process going .... I remember that there were
some good tutorials in Spanish published in the past (a traffic light
example and some other things ...)

For examples a "miniaturas 2003" section would be great. The work done
in the past was well done - why not continue? Putting your content on a
geocities page looks shabby. The layout should be better for reading the
document online (two columns).

I suppose that Diego Gomez Deck would surely be willing to help if there
are specific questions turning up. He as well published two or three
tutorials.

I would recommend as well to enhance the page on Smalltalk in the GNU
free encyclopedia -
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk

Putting a link to your site there after it has been updated could
possibly get some more people interested.

Regards
Hannes Hirzel

P.S. I just recently began using Squeak again - I havn't used it for 8
months now and I like what happend in the mean time. The basic image
(3.4.) is more or less stable now, while enhancements are published on
SqueakMap which is great for documentation as the target is now moving
slower  ;-)