Spread (was RE: [DOCS] Maximum Squeak - accelerating Squeak and n amed primitives.)

Withers, Robert rwithers at quallaby.com
Mon Feb 10 19:27:34 UTC 2003

Hey Ned,

This looks like a good start and is quite humorous to boot, for myself.
Have you looked at SecureSpread?  ;-)

You wrote:

"After looking at the Spread API documentation, I see two choices for
connecting Squeak to Spread.

One is to duplicate all the client logic in Smalltalk, down to sending
packets over the network. I could read the C or Java implementations and
duplicate them in Smalltalk. This has the advantage of not requiring a
compiled plugin, but has the serious disadvantage of being a lot of work.

The other choice that I can see is to hook Squeak up to the Spread client
library libsp, which is written in C and is available as a static linker
library. Although this choice requires compilation of a plugin, it has the
advantage of being able to track new versions of Spread easily by a simple
re-compile. But most important for me, it looks like much less work. So this
is what I'm going to do.
"

Well, I chose the first approach (not with Spread) and let me confirm:
"It's a LOT of work!".  However, we now have a working SPKI implementation
in squeak, so perhaps its useful still.

I am now looking at multicast/broadcast key exchange mechanisms and
SecureSpread was recommended to me.  Isn't that hilarious?

I think that I want to implement this in squeak again, but I will probably
use the SecureSpread algorithms.  I do want to look at your SpreadPlugin.
Did you manage to get a distributed object impl working?

cheers,
rob