[DOCS] Project "Magic Book"

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 11 11:17:59 UTC 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Personally I think it should *not* be webbased. :-) I would like all the
> documentation to be accessible from inside Squeak in an integrated
> manner using all the multimedia skills that Squeak has.

I consider it to be a valuable mid term goal to have better
documentation
within the image.
But as a short term goal cleaning up and updateing
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak
is the easiest thing to do. It just take a little more effort than
writing emails.

> For example -
> look at the TableLayout Project describing as an interactive essay how
> that works. (Don't have alink right now)

That you don't have the link proves that this kind of documentation is
difficult
to access. Why not include this good essay in the image? (Of course with
a possibility to get rid of it). Did somebody check recently if it loads
fine
in Squeak 3.4? We could have a documentation switchboard project
within the Squeak image which links to essays like this and is
regularily
maintained.

> And I also strongly would consider the
> link-documentation-to-the-unit-tests-idea in order to automatically
> detect stale documentation.

Surely nobody objects that links from the documentation to the
unit tests are a good idea. The problem is doing it. To automatically
detect stale documentation is probably science fiction.

> All this does *not* mean that it shouldn't be collaboratively editable
> etc.
So let's go back to swiki editing ....

Hannes