Re-doing Morphic ( Was: Re: Traits prototype image )

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Tue Feb 11 11:25:27 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, February 11, 2003, at 04:32  AM, Ned Konz wrote:
> We should be able to take all these things and make them separately
> loadable packages. EToys, Piano Rolls, Stack Morph, Flaps, and the
> rest are all things that are not part of a minimal Squeak system.

Yep - but first we gotta untangle them.  I might be able to help as I
am recently unemployed
(job tips are welcome btw -Resume:
http://www.free-for-recruiters.com/Resumes/CO/1006864-Resume.html.)

> One direction I was recently thinking about is this: it wouldn't take
> too much to make a "separate but equal" Morphic hierarchy, with some
> minimal behavior to make it play with the existing Morphic API. Start
> at NewMorph or something, and build the widgets you really want. Then
> move, copy, or port over the bits of the existing Morphic that you
> want to keep.

This sounds hard.

I was thinking of sticking a new superclass in above Morph.
Call it ProtoMorph.  Create a simple RectangleMorph clone that derives
from ProtoMorph.

Stick a RectangleMorph and a ProtoRectangleMorph side by side and move
logic up to ProtoMorph until ProtoRectangleMorph is minimally useful.
Stop and reassess.