Mythical small kernel images?

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 11 11:37:00 UTC 2003

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> "=?iso-8859-1?q?German=20S.=20Arduino?=" <garduino at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hello Goran:
> >
> > I need to make some tests with a small image,
> > including Morphic, but I'm inexperienced yet to play
> > myself with majorShrink and similar stuff.
> >
> > Your 5MB image is available in some place to download?
> >
> > Thanks and Best Regards.
>
> I will get back to you after lunch with some instructions. Gotta run.
>
> regards, Göran

Some time ago (January 2002 with an 4599 image) I documented my efforts
of coming up with a smaller image on
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2182

It was relatively easy to come down to 7.3MB. To bring it further down
one had to do more
hackish things so I actually stopped halfways in my efforts at that
time.

I would welcome if you could redo even that with the current 3.4 release
image and update the page accordingly or send in an email with your
experience report. Actually that page is more of a scratchpad type but I
think it contains enough information to get you started.

Another idea which needs more work: Write a couple of ChangeSets to put
on SqueakMap
like Andreas did one for Balloon3D
http://map2.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/625e704a-e422-463d-a4a0-c654
e3b9aab8
This would allow to remove certain parts from the image. Having several
scripts would
allow people to combine them.
However be warned - this task is difficult as it presumes you have a
thourough knowledge of
the inner workings. Actually this is just the goal TheGuides are heading
for 3.5 - to break out packages from the image.

But on a more hackish level having a couple of course shrinking scripts
would be fine and they would help us to discuss various issues. Having
smaller images ("deconstructed" images) helps to understand the
mechanisms better (fewer functions, less "cruft").

Hannes